A Poveira’s preserves are of 100% Portuguese production.
The high quality of its products is a result of the fish quality and the production method.
Combining the traditional techniques to the most advanced manufacturing technology, A Poveira achieves the best product, with a wide variety of recipes.
A Poveira´s History
A Poveira is one of the oldest canned fish factories in Portugal (1938), located in Póvoa de Varzim (maritime city in the North of Portugal).
A Poveira positions itself in the industry as a high quality canned fish producer.
- (1938)A Poveira was founded on June 16th and followed a French factory, the first to be created in Póvoa de Varzim in 1920.
- (1945)The Portuguese canned fish sector saw a large growth during World War II and Poveira also benefited from this conjuncture. The Portuguese preserves supplied the armies in combat.
- (1945 – 2003) The end of World War II meant a great drop in canned fish exports. After Portugal entered the EEC (1986) the industry had to go through a great effort to adapt, namely to new legal and phytosanitary dispositions; until 2003 A Poveira had gone through various critical periods of time.
- (2003)A Poveira begins its factory modernization process
- (2007)The construction of a new industrial unit starts, inaugurated on 2/01/2013
- (2013) New Factory